Frequently, I see patients whose first question is, “Am I ready for replacement of my arthritic joint?”
This is not a question that is easy to answer, and the answer depends on many factors and variables:
- Joint Replacements have an excellent outcome, with greater than 90% of patients reporting that they are glad they proceeded with the surgery and are better than before surgery.
- Patients often ask if they are too old for surgery. Well, I believe that age is a relative factor. Some 50 year olds have multiple medical problems, while some 90 year olds have no medical issues and are not even taking any medications. So age must be evaluated by each individual.
- There are many treatments for arthritis of a joint:
- Activity modification
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Anti-inflammatory injections
- Support aides, like canes or walkers
- Braces or shoe modifications
- Weight loss
- Physical strengthening
- The main reason for undergoing joint replacement is pain! However, limitation of activity or loss of function is another reason people think about undergoing surgery.
- The best answer to the question, “Am I ready for a joint replacement?” is, “You will know when it is time.”
If you want to discuss the options of surgical treatment for your arthritis, please make an appointment here or by calling 918-392-1400. By seeing you in person, myself or another member of our qualified joint replacement team can provide you an individualized assessment and discuss your concerns and expectations.