By Jennifer Peterson, MD
While knee surgeries are common here at Tulsa Bone & Joint, we take a conservative approach to treatment. That means helping you stay out of the operating room if and when possible. If you’re suffering from knee pain, here are 6 things you can do to treat the pain that do not require surgery:
- Try over the counter anti inflammatories like Aleve or Ibuprofen.
- Ask your doctor about trying prescription anti inflammatories like Naproxen, Meloxicam, or Celebrex.
- Try physical therapy. Physical therapy can help you strengthen the muscles around the knee, and help you regain range of motion that you have lost.
- Steroid or viscosupplementation injections are a great way to treat the pain of knee arthritis, and these can be done in the office.
- You may be a candidate for a knee brace that can help take the pressure off the side of your knee where you have arthritis.
- Last but not least, the hardest of all…weight loss. 2-7x your body weight goes through your knees with every step. That means 10 lbs of weight loss is at LEAST 20 lbs less weight that your knees feel with every step.
If you need guidance regarding your knee pain, I am accepting new patients and would be happy to help you find relief. Call 918-392-1400 to schedule an appointment.