By Jennifer Peterson, MD
While hip surgeries are common here at Tulsa Bone & Joint, we take a conservative approach to treatment. That means helping you stay out of the operating room if and
when possible. If you’re suffering from knee pain, here are 6 things you can do to treat the pain that do not require surgery:
- Try over the counter anti inflammatories like Aleve or Ibuprofen.
- Ask your doctor about trying prescription anti inflammatories like naproxen, meloxicam, or celebrex.
- Try physical therapy: Physical therapy can help you strengthen the muscles around the hip, and help treat any gait abnormalities that develop with arthritis.
- Steroid injections are a great way to treat the pain of hip arthritis, and these can often be done in the office under ultrasound.
- Head to the store and get yourself a stylish cane. Hold this in the hand opposite your bad hip. (Right hand for Left hip) This will help decrease the forces going through the bad hip and help
- Last but not least, the hardest of all…weight loss. 3-6x your body weight goes through your hips with every step. That means 10lbs of weight loss is at LEAST 30 lbs less weight that your hips feel with every step.
If you need guidance regarding your hip pain, I am accepting new patients and would be happy to help you find relief. Call 918-392-1400 to schedule an appointment.